IACUC Training - CITI Instructions
Oklahoma State University is making use of the Collaborative Institutional Training Initiative (CITI) as a component of its training efforts for individuals who conduct research, teaching, and/or testing activities involving animals. This online training program consists of two main tutorial modules, as well as a series of species specific modules. There are also modules on aseptic surgery and pain and distress in laboratory mice and rats.
The CITI training program is appropriate for faculty, staff, and students who plan to engage in activities falling within the purview of OSU’s Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee (IACUC). Modules include instructional material, suggested readings, and a short quiz. You must have a cumulative score of 80% to pass/complete the course. Quiz results are recorded and provided to you and to the Office of University Research Compliance.
You should complete the module titled Working with the IACUC, unless you are a member of the OSU IACUC. IACUC members should complete the module titled Essentials for IACUC Members. Additional information follows.
Directions for signing up for the CITI Laboratory Animal Welfare (IACUC) tutorial:
- Open your internet browser and go to the CITI Program (https://www.citiprogram.org/). This is the CITI welcome and login/registration page. You must register to obtain a user name and password.
- If you have not previously registered with CITI, click on New Users Register Here. This will take you to a Course Registration page. If you previously registered with CITI as being affiliated with Oklahoma State University, simply enter your existing username and password in the appropriate fields, which will take you to the “Main Menu” where you can add a course or update your learner group (This option is located just below the course completion report section). If you previously registered with CITI, proceed to Step 12. Otherwise, proceed to Step 3.
- Under 1: Select your Institution or Organization by clicking on the participating institutions drop down box. Find Oklahoma State University and select it. Do not enter anything else in the other drop down box fields in Item 1.
- Under 2: Select your Username and Password – enter a unique username and password according to the parameters described in the instructions. Try to remember or keep this username and password on hand so you can access CITI at any time.
- Under 3: Enter your first and last name in the fields provided.
- Under 4: Enter your e-mail address. You have the option of including a secondary e-mail address.
- Click the Submit button. This will take you to a second registration page.
- Select your language preference and enter your institutional email address. Select gender, the highest degree obtained, and complete all other required information (indicated by an *).
- You will be directed to a new page that allows you to select your curriculum from various training modules, which include Human Subjects Research (Items 1 and 2), Laboratory Animal Welfare (Item 3), and Responsible Conduct of Research (Item 4). The curriculum you select will determine which training module(s) you will be required to complete.
- For the IACUC training modules, scroll down the page and select either Working with the IACUC or Essentials for IACUC Members. Only members of OSU’s IACUC must complete Essentials for IACUC Members. You may also select modules specific to pain and distress and aseptic surgery, as well as species specific training modules. Select all that apply.
- On the next screen, you can affiliate with another institution, such as a VA Medical Center. This is not applicable to most of us. As such, we recommend that you click “No.”
- On the “Main Menu,” which will come up automatically every time you log into the CITI program, you can verify that your e-mail address is accurate. Make changes as needed. In the center of the Main Menu page, you will see a list of the courses in which you enrolled.
NOTE: If you previously completed any CITI courses, you will see a list of your completion report(s). To register for a course you have not yet taken, you must click on the link “Add a course or update your learner groups” (This option is located just below the course completion report section.). You will be directed to a new page that allows you to select a new curriculum. Once you have made your selection, click on “Continue.” You will be directed to a page that allows you to see all the groups and courses in which you are enrolled. Simply scroll to the bottom of the page and click on “Go Back to Learner's Main Menu.”
- You may now enter the course module you wish to complete by clicking on “Enter,” which is located in the Status column. Complete the required modules and any associated quizzes. You must complete the required modules first, and then you may complete any of the optional modules you wish. You do not have to complete the training modules in one sitting. This training is required every three years.
- Once you complete the course(s), you can print a completion report. In addition, you should be able to save your CITI completion report as a MS Word document or a PDF file. CITI will automatically notify the Office of University Research Compliance of completion results (pass/fail).
Print your completion report and keep a copy for your records.
If you have questions about this training or need additional information on how to register with CITI, please contact the Office of University Research Compliance at 405.744.1676.