Responsible Conduct of Research
CITI Responsible Conduct of Research Training Instructions
Oklahoma State University is making use of the Collaborative Institutional Training Initiative (CITI) as a component of training in the area of Responsible Conduct of Research (RCR). This online training program consists of a series of tutorial modules focusing on different aspects of RCR and is intended for anyone engaged in research. The training is appropriate for faculty, staff and students conducting research in the natural sciences, physical sciences, social and behavioral sciences, humanities, and fine arts.
Modules include instructional material, case studies, and additional suggested readings. At the end of each module is a short quiz. The results of each quiz are recorded and provided to you and to the Office of University Research Compliance. You must have a cumulative score of 80% to pass/complete the course. Additional information follows.
Directions for signing up for the CITI RCR tutorial:
- Open your internet browser and go to the CITI Program (https://www.citiprogram.org/). This is the CITI welcome and login/registration page. You must register to obtain a user name and password.
- If you have not previously registered with CITI, click on New Users Register Here. This will take you to a Course Registration page. If you previously registered with CITI as being affiliated with Oklahoma State University, simply enter your existing username and password in the appropriate fields, which will take you to the “Main Menu” where you can add a course or update your learner group (This option is located just below the course completion report section). If you previously registered with CITI, proceed to Step 13. Otherwise, proceed to Step 3.
- Under 1: Select your Institution or Organization by clicking on the participating institutions drop down box. Find Oklahoma State University and select it. Do not enter anything else in the other drop down box fields in Item 1.
- Under 2: Select your Username and Password – enter a unique username and password according to the parameters described in the instructions. Try to remember or keep this username and password on hand so you can access CITI at any time.
- Under 3: Enter your first and last name in the fields provided.
- Under 4: Enter your e-mail address. You have the option of including a secondary e-mail address.
- Click the Submit button. This will take you to a second registration page.
- Select your language preference and enter your institutional email address. Select gender, the highest degree obtained, and complete all other required information (indicated by an *).
- You will be directed to a new page that allows you to select your curriculum from various training courses, which include Human Subjects Research (Items 1 and 2), Laboratory Animal Welfare (Item 3), and Responsible Conduct of Research (Item 4).
- Select all discipline areas that apply.
- If you only need to complete the Responsible Conduct of Research (RCR) curriculum, simply scroll down the page and select one of the RCR modules listed under Question 4. You do not need to respond to Item 1, 2 or 3 if you do not need to complete the Human Subjects Research (IRB) curriculum or the Laboratory Animal Welfare (IACUC) curriculum. Once you have made your selection(s), simply scroll down to the bottom of the page and click on “Submit.”
- On the next screen, you can affiliate with another institution, such as a VA Medical Center. This is not applicable to most of us. As such, we recommend that you click “No.”
- On the “Main Menu,” which will come up automatically every time you log into the CITI program, you can verify that your e-mail address is accurate. Make changes as needed. In the center of the Main Menu page, you will see a list of the courses in which you enrolled.
NOTE: If you previously completed any CITI courses, you will see a list of your completion report(s). To register for a course you have not yet taken, you must click on the link “Add a course or update your learner groups” (This option is located just below the course completion report section.). You will be directed to a new page that allows you to select a new curriculum. Once you have made your selection, click on “Continue.” You will be directed to a page that allows you to see all the groups and courses in which you are enrolled. Simply scroll to the bottom of the page and click on “Go Back to Learner's Main Menu.”
- You may now enter the course you wish to complete by clicking on “Enter,” which is located in the Status column. The Real Video plugin is required for viewing some of the Case Study videos. It is not mandatory for completion of the course only for enhancement of the experience. You do not have to complete the set of training modules in one sitting. The Incomplete indicator on the Learner’s Menu will be changed to Complete and the quiz grade will be shown once you successfully complete the course.
- Once you complete the course(s), you can print a completion report. In addition, you should be able to save your CITI completion report as a MS Word document or a PDF file. CITI will automatically notify the Office of University Research Compliance of completion results (pass/fail). Print your completion report and keep a copy for your records.